As a personal training company we often meet clients who due to busy work schedules or family commitments don’t have the available time to commit to more than one or two personal training sessions a week. The demands of modern living, family commitments and other social engagements mean the windows of exercise opportunity are very few and far between. However, with a little bit of planning and a small investment in some relatively inexpensive home gym equipment there is a way to get in that extra session that will ease that nagging feeling that you didn't do enough exercise for the week. Exercising at home is a great way to get that extra gym session in and as such we have compiled a list of reasons to demonstrate that exercising at home is possible, probably more convenient if you’re time poor and ensures that your exercise sessions will be completed leaving you feeling virtuous and healthy and free to do all the other things you enjoy.
- Convenience - Often the stress of packing a gym bag and rushing straight from work to secure that treadmill for your mandatory 30 minute run before it gets too busy or the gym closes is, well, just too stressful. But just how productive is a 30 minute continuous run on a treadmill? Investing in some basic home gym equipment and finding a suitable space at home to train in will give you a much more productive workout, you will be less stressed doing it and can jump straight into the shower as soon as you’ve finished.
- Efficiency - Having all your equipment within easy reach in the same room means you will be efficient in your workout time. You won't have to wait for someone to finish with the dumbbells you want to use which could interrupt the rhythm of your workout. You will always finish exactly on time and maximize your workout time.
- Cost - Whilst investing in a gym membership is potentially good for your health, it is clear that the average gym usage per person per week is once to twice per week and often times they are busy, overcrowded at peak times and intimidating environments within which to train. By investing in some gym equipment for you home you will be guaranteed space to train in and save yourself some money in the process.
- Flexibility - Having a home gym allows you the flexibility and freedom to train whenever you want even if you have very little time. Often times the journey to the gym can be long and arduous, particularly after a long day at work. Having the freedom to train at home offers the option to train when you want and for as long as you want. Even if it's a short 30 minute workout (sometimes the best workouts as they are often more intense due to time constraints) you will have improved your health and got that elusive extra session in.
- Home Personal Training - If you need that extra bit of motivation or require a well-planned exercise programme to make the most of your fitness equipment then having a personal trainer come to your home is an excellent way to achieve your exercise goals. He or she will show you how to use your gym equipment productively and safely.
- Relaxed - When you workout at home you will feel more at ease and therefore can practice more complicated exercises and perfect them without fear of embarrassment in front of your peers. This is particularly relevant if you are daunted or self-conscious in the gym environment. Training in a home environment helps boost confidence and will ensure you become more motivated.
- Exercise Apparel - Exercising at home removes the often problematic dilemma of what to wear to the gym. This never applies when you're training at home and means you can wear what you like. You also won't have to worry about carrying sweaty gym kit around with you all day and making sure you have enough clean gear for the next gym session.
- Music - You have infinite music choices when you workout at home. No need for headphones so you can move about freely rather than being plugged in continuously to the same machine.
- Save Money on Childcare - Whilst there may be an initial outlay for some gym equipment (dumbbells, skipping rope, medicine balls, treadmill etc) it will soon be recouped when you realize how much you would have paid in costly gym memberships that you rarely used. Use the saved money to treat yourself on a well-deserved holiday somewhere hot to show off all your hardwork. Also, you may no longer need a baby-sitter or nanny to mind the kids whilst you thrash away on the treadmill at your local gym. If you're fortunate enough to have kids who take naps during the day then you can quickly whiz through your programme and not have to worry about paying the babysitter.
So, there you have it, plenty of reasons to exercise at home which will have multiple benefits including giving you more time to spend with your family and friends and unfortunately no excuses with which to persuade yourself that you don’t have enough time to exercise. If you can think of other reasons why exercising at home is a good option then please let us know and we will update the list.
If you are currently exercising at home then please let us know what your favourite piece of exercise equipment is and why and we will publish the best answer on our Facebook page, with your permission of course!